The centre for food safety of the Hong Kong food and Environmental Hygiene Department on July 19 called on the public not to eat a Japanese imported cup noodles because the product was found to contain the pesticide ethylene oxide. If the industry holds the affected products, it should immediately stop using or selling them.
Product information is as follows:
Product Name:Pig bowl noodles – salt flavor
Best before this date:September 9, 2022
Importer:Wantong import and export trade Co., Ltd
A spokesman for the center said,”the center learned from the food accident monitoring system that the Taiwan food and Drug Administration had issued a notice that the ethylene oxide content of the above products was found to be inconsistent with local regulations. After learning of the incident, the center immediately contacted local importers for follow-up based on the information provided by the Taiwan authorities. A preliminary investigation found that the above importers had imported the relevant products of the affected batches.”
Based on the fact that ethylene oxide has been banned by the European Union, for the sake of prudence, the above-mentioned importers have removed the affected batches of products from the shelves and stopped selling according to the instructions of the center, and started recycling. Members of the public who wish to inquire about the recycling of the above products can call the importer hotline at 29477038 during office hours.
The spokesman urged the public to stop eating the affected batches of products. The industry should also immediately stop using or selling the products in the relevant batches.
The center will notify the industry of the incident, and will continue to follow up the incident and take appropriate action. The investigation continues.