In hot summer, sweating like rain, a cold drink instantly makes people relaxed and happy, especially sports drinks, which can not only reduce exercise fatigue, but also improve exercise endurance, and has become the standard configuration for many young people in summer sports.
What is sports drink? How to choose? Follow the expert team of Jiangxi market supervision bureau to learn about it.
Definition of sports drinks
According to the definition of sports drink (GB 15266-2009), sports drink refers to a drink whose nutrients and their content can adapt to the physiological characteristics of sports or physical activity people, supplement water, electrolytes and energy for the body, and can be quickly absorbed.
Sports drinks can timely supplement energy and lost electrolytes such as potassium and sodium, maintain the acid-base balance of the human body, maintain good physical strength and endurance during long-term and high-intensity sports training, and significantly reduce the fatigue after exercise.
How to choose sports drinks?
Sports drinks are a kind of special-purpose drinks. In the general rules for beverages (gb/t 10789-2015), special-purpose drinks are divided into sports drinks, nutrient drinks, energy drinks, electrolyte drinks, etc. Therefore, the latter three special-purpose beverages are not sports drinks.
Energy drinks are mainly used to provide supplementary energy for the body or accelerate the release and absorption of energy.
Nutrient drinks, such as vitamin drinks, are not sports drinks, but because they add vitamins and electrolytes, they can also be drunk during daily exercise.
Although electrolyte drinks contain potassium, sodium, calcium and other substances, they are more suitable for daily drinking than sports drinks because they do not have the characteristics of”energy supplement” and”rapid absorption”.
Can sports drinks be used as daily drinks?
Sports drinks are not exclusive to professional athletes. Some people who engage in medium and high-intensity sports or heavy and long-term physical activities can also drink sports drinks appropriately to supplement water, electrolytes and energy in the case of heavy sweating. Although sports drinks can quickly supplement energy, their sugar content is usually 3%-8%. Long term drinking will cause health problems such as obesity, diabetes, dental caries and so on. In addition, the sodium content in sports drinks is generally 50-1200 mg/l, and the potassium content is generally 50-250 mg/L. long term drinking will increase the burden on the kidney and have adverse effects. Therefore, for people who do not exercise much and lose weight through exercise, they should pay attention to supplementing water at ordinary times. If they drink sports drinks as water or ordinary drinks, it will affect their health.
1. Sports drinks are suitable for high-intensity sports or labor with more than 1 hour of intense exercise and a lot of sweating. Sports drinks are not required for daily light activities or sedentary.
2. The sodium content in sports drinks is high. For people with high blood pressure, heart disease and kidney function problems, it is not recommended to drink sports drinks.
3. Sports drinks contain high sugar content. Excessive intake of sugar will cause health problems such as obesity, diabetes and dental caries. Children or patients with diabetes should be cautious when drinking them.
4. When buying sports drinks, the simplest way to distinguish is to see whether there is the word”sports drinks” on the package.
5. When buying sports drinks, you should carefully look at the ingredient instructions on the bottle and choose sports drinks that do not contain caffeine or carbon dioxide. Food safety standards require that caffeine should not be used in sports drinks. A large amount of caffeine is easy to cause arrhythmia, high blood pressure and other side effects; Carbon dioxide gas can produce a large number of bubbles, making the stomach produce a sense of flatulence, which is unfavorable to exercise.
Source:food sampling Department of the Provincial Bureau
执 笔：南昌大学食品学院 省检验检测认证总院食品检验检测研究院