Food Partner Network News
According to the US Federal Register, on March 15, 2021, the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture (FSIS) issued Document 2021-05273 to amend the requirements for importing fresh pears from South Korea . The relevant requirements are as follows:
All pear fruits imported from South Korea to the United States need to take the following systematic measures:
1. Sand pears can only be imported as commercial goods.
2. Sand pears must be grown at the place of production and packed in a packaging factory registered by the Korean National Plant Protection Organization.
3. The production site must be inspected for symptoms of quarantine pests and diseases. If such pests and diseases are found, appropriate mitigation measures should be taken.
4. When the diameter of the fruit is between 2.5 and 3.5 cm, the pear must be bagged. All fruits must be bagged before June 30 to prevent all arthropod pests from infecting the fruits.
5. Each consignment of pear must be labeled for traceability.
6. Each shipment of pears must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate issued by the Korean National Plant Protection Organization, indicating that the shipment has been inspected and is free of quarantine pests.
Export of the pre-inspection plan for sand pear:
Each pre-cleared goods must be accompanied by a”Plant Protection and Quarantine Form”, which indicates that the goods have been inspected by APHIS.
For non-clearance exports of sand pear:
Every consignment that has not been pre-inspected is subject to inspection at the US port of entry.
The FSIS of the United States has provided the Import Evaluation Document (CIED) for blue sand pears imported from South Korea for public review and comment. Relevant opinions must be submitted before May 14, 2021.