In order to accurately grasp the production and marketing trends of China’s jasmine tea, study and judge development trends, and promote the healthy and sustainable development of jasmine and tea industry, the China Tea Circulation Association has carried out an annual survey of national jasmine tea and released a report for ten years. Now we will conduct this year’s survey The situation is summarized. Because there are currently no new jasmine tea and scented tea production areas in the country except Hengxian County in Guangxi, Qianwei County in Sichuan, Fuzhou City in Fujian Province, and Yuanjiang County in Yunnan Province, the data on the supply side of this article comes from these four counties and cities. The analysis of the”2020 China Jasmine Tea Production and Sales Situation Analysis Report” is as follows:
1. The planting area has increased steadily and slightly
In 2019, the national jasmine planting area was 193,500 mu, an increase of 7,000 mu or 3.8%over the previous year. Among them, the planting area of jasmine in Heng County, Guangxi was 113,000 mu, an increase of 5,000 mu, an increase of 4.6%; the planting area of Qianwei in Sichuan was 51,000 mu, a decrease of 2,000 mu, or a decrease of 3.8%; the planting area of Fuzhou, Fujian was 25,000 mu, an increase of 0.4 10,000 mu, an increase of 16%; Yunnan Yuanjiang planting area was 4,500 mu, the same as in 2018.
2. The output of flowers continues to increase
In 2019, the country’s total output of jasmine was 128,000 tons, an increase of 7,400 tons from last year, an increase of 6.1%. Among them, the output of jasmine in Hengxian County was 96,000 tons, an increase of 6,000 tons, an increase of 6.6%; the output of Qianwei jasmine was 14,000 tons, a decrease of 5,000 tons, or a decrease of 3.7%; the output of Fuzhou jasmine was 11,000 tons, an increase of 0.07 million, compared with An increase of 6.8%; Yunnan Yuanjiang jasmine output was 7,000 tons, an increase of 0.02 million tons, an increase of 2.9%.
3. Synchronous increase in agricultural output value
In 2019, the national agricultural output value of jasmine has reached 3.03 billion yuan, a year-on-year increase of 172 million yuan, an increase of 6%. Among them, the output value of Hengxian jasmine was 2.16 billion yuan, an increase of 160 million yuan, an increase of 8%; the output value of Qianwei jasmine was 310 million yuan, a decrease of 09 million yuan, a decrease of 2.8%; the output value of Fuzhou jasmine was 380 million yuan, an increase of 21 million yuan, compared with An increase of 5.8%; Yuanjiang jasmine output value was 180 million yuan, the same as in 2018.
4. The average market price remains stable
In 2019, the national average transaction price of jasmine was 23.67 yuan/kg. Among them, the average price of Fuzhou jasmine was the highest, 34.54 yuan/kg; Yuanjiang jasmine was 25.71 yuan/kg, slightly higher than the national average price; Qianwei jasmine was 22.14 yuan/kg, slightly lower than the average price; Hengxian jasmine average price was 22.5 yuan/kg.
(2) Jasmine tea
1. Small increase in output
The survey shows that the total output of China’s jasmine tea in 2019 was about 113,600 tons, accounting for 4.06%of the country’s total tea output. Among them, Heng County produced 78,000 tons of jasmine tea, accounting for 68.66%of the total jasmine tea output; Qianwei produced 15,000 tons of jasmine tea, accounting for 13.20%; Fuzhou jasmine tea output was 14,200 tons, accounting for 12.5%; Yuanjiang jasmine tea The output is 6,400 tons, accounting for 5.63%.
2. Production value increase
In 2019, the agricultural output value of China’s jasmine tea was 12.195 billion yuan, accounting for 5.09%of the total tea output value. Among them, the processing output value of Hengxian jasmine tea is about 7.501 billion yuan, accounting for 61.51%of the total output value of jasmine tea in the country; the output value of Qianwei jasmine tea is 1.62 billion yuan, accounting for 13.28%; the output value of Fuzhou jasmine tea is about 2.554 billion yuan, accounting for 20.9%; The output value of Yuanjiang scented tea is 520 million yuan, accounting for 4.26%.
3. Average price increase
In comparison, in 2019, among the four major jasmine tea producing areas in China, the average price of jasmine tea in Fuzhou was the highest, reaching 179.8 yuan/kg, followed by Qianwei jasmine tea with an average price of 108 yuan/kg. The average price of scented tea in Hengxian County is 96.2 yuan/kg, and that in Yuanjiang is 81.3 yuan/kg. Based on comprehensive calculations, the average price of jasmine tea in China in 2019 is 107.35 yuan/kg.
4. Industry status
(1) Industry scale. In 2019, Hengxian strengthened its efforts in attracting investment, consolidating its industrial foundation, and promoting Zhejiang Huamingyuan Group to accelerate the construction of Guangxi Mosmine Fragrant Tea Co., Ltd., completing the total investment of more than 200 million yuan in attracting investment and completing 133%of the task, which is a powerful boost Construction of a standardized processing zone for jasmine flowers in China Jasmine Garden. As of the end of the year, there were 130 scented tea processing enterprises in Hengxian County, including 25 regulated enterprises and 18 wholesale and retail enterprises above designated size. During the year, 9 wholesale and retail scented tea enterprises above designated size were newly added. The county’s wholesale and retail sales above designated size exceeded 1.789 billion. Yuan, an increase of 19.2%over last year, the annual processing of scented tea is 78,000 tons, and the output value is 8 billion yuan, an increase of 11%and 23%respectively over 2018.
Qianwei County has a total investment of 500 million yuan. The World Jasmine Expo Park project with a planned core area of 1,300 acres, an expansion area of 5,000 acres, and a radiation area of 12,000 acres will officially open in 2019. The jasmine industry in Yuanjiang County revolves around the development of modern agriculture, and in accordance with the development requirements of”standardization and internationalization”, through the promotion of standardized planting, continuous improvement of processing technology, improvement of product quality, support for leading enterprises, development of jasmine series products, and creation of jasmine brand, the industrial foundation continues Consolidate.
(2) Brand cultivation. In 2019, Hengxian focused on promoting the international registration of the Madrid trademark”Hengxian Jasmine Tea”, and submitted applications to the Madrid International Trademark Office for 14 countries including Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, and obtained Madrid international trademark certification from 10 countries. The county’s jasmine tea accelerates its move to the international market, and further expands the popularity and influence of the world’s jasmine capital, laying a solid foundation.
(3) Industrial integration. In 2019, Hengxian County will focus on upgrading the Chinese Jasmine Garden tourist attraction. By accelerating the construction of national AAA-level tourist attractions, tapping jasmine culture, building road networks, sightseeing planks, lake attractions, flower seas, etc., to create a collection of planting, processing, technology, and culture. , Tourism in one”Jasmine Journey”,”Scent of Fragrant Journey”,”Jasmine Style Tour” tourist routes. In 2019, the park received more than 500,000 tourists, and the reception unit conducted more than 120 surveys or inspections. At the same time, make full use of tea garden resources and the characteristics of mountain villages, develop tea tourism cultural tourist attractions (spots), add 2 national AAA-level tourist attractions, and open 5 tea tourism routes. The number of sightseeing tourists increased by 38%compared with last year, and the income of sightseeing agriculture continued to increase. Big.
(1) Domestic market
1. Overall performance is stable
According to our investigation and analysis, the domestic sales of jasmine tea in China in 2019 was about 97,800 tons, accounting for 4.83%of the total domestic tea sales; the domestic sales were 15.615 billion yuan, accounting for 5.7%of the total domestic tea sales; The price is 159.67 yuan/kg, which is about 18.05%higher than the average price of domestic tea.
2. Good market feedback
Chain stores, e-commerce, and wholesale markets are the three traditional domestic sales channels for China’s jasmine tea. The survey shows that with the development of the economy and society, the boundaries of the sales channels of jasmine tea are becoming blurred and mutually integrated, and the trend of consumers’ younger age is very obvious. Therefore, the entire consumption of jasmine tea in the Internet economy is”interest, benefit, interaction, and individuality”. Under the influence of characteristics, changes are taking place.
In the field of chain and e-commerce, jasmine tea products show three major characteristics:
First, explosive products have formed a new consumption trend, and product concentration has increased. Take Zhang Yiyuan Company as an example. The company broke the tradition of jasmine tea products in Beijing area by selling prices instead of names with”profit” thinking, and provided consumers with solutions in a simple and clear way, combining useful products with market needs The docking has achieved very good results-up to now, Zhang Yiyuan Longhao has achieved a single product annual sales exceeding 100 million in only 3 years, and has formed a huge siphon effect.
Second, the bargaining power of branded products has been continuously improved, and the relationship between supply and demand and consumer demand have changed. According to the China Tea Association’s survey of the top ten domestic scented tea companies, the high-end trend of product structure is obvious in 2019, mid-range products continue to dominate, and low-end products continue to decline. According to Zhang Yiyuan’s report, the company’s low-end products under 150 yuan dropped from 26.5%in 2017 to 11.6%, and mid-end products at 150-999 yuan continued to maintain a ratio of about 60%. Products above 1,000 yuan increased from 2017. The proportion quickly rose to a quarter of 2019.
In addition, the company’s e-commerce data shows that the performance of jasmine tea priced below 500 yuan/jin rose 15.9%, while the total proportion fell 5.5%. The performance of jasmine tea with a price of more than 1,000 yuan rose by 39.84%, and the total proportion rose by 15.2%to 31.2%.
Third, the demand for high-quality supply has become increasingly apparent, and geographical constraints have gradually disappeared. According to the report of Huangshan Xiaocan Tea Company, the current tea consumption has gradually moved away from the concept of”weight rather than quality”, and new consumption demands of small quantity and high quality have become increasingly popular.”Drink less and drink better” is the general consensus of the new generation of consumers. To make up for the impulse to try to consume with a lower cost of trial and error, this is the consumption pattern of young people. It can be seen that the history of jasmine tea as a special drink for middle-aged and elderly people is gradually being rewritten. Drinking jasmine tea is both classic and fashionable, and it is both inherited and innovative. On the e-commerce platform, the 18-29 year-old consumer group continues to show a steady upward trend is the best example. In addition, the biggest benefit of the Internet is to break the historical and geographical restrictions, so that jasmine tea, which is traditionally regarded as tea consumed in the north, is accepted by young people in more places, thus bringing new growth to the jasmine tea consumer market.
At the same time, the consumption of jasmine tea in the traditional wholesale market is also undergoing changes. The report of the largest tea wholesale market in the north-Jinan No. 1 Tea Market gave four clear tips:
One is to return to tradition and become the main line. The overall situation of Jinan jasmine tea market sales in 2019 is improving. In 2019, the overall trend of jasmine tea is improving, and the sales of mass consumer products are steadily rising; the raw materials are good, and the high-end jasmine tea products with traditional craftsmanship are selling well. With the return of traditional culture, national trend products, and reshaping of classics, it has become an iconic cultural phenomenon in 2019. Jasmine tea has become a tea variety favored by more and more consumers due to its deep cultural accumulation in the northern market, complex traditional production techniques, and the unique quality of flower-gathering tea fragrance. On the one hand, the traditional jasmine tea consumer group has a certain fixed stock, on the other hand, new consumers gradually understand that they like jasmine tea. In addition, in the past two years, jasmine tea companies have adjusted their product structure, technological innovation, and innovation to adapt to the new economic environment. Cultural digging and other measures have improved the brand and quality of jasmine tea. Therefore, the overall sales of jasmine tea in the north are showing a positive trend.
Second, Hengxian jasmine tea is still the mainstream market, and Fuzhou jasmine tea and Sichuan Qian jasmine tea both increased slightly. Jasmine tea is diversified among various producing areas, varieties, and brands. Not only does the traditional Fuzhou handmade jasmine tea have a place, the mainstream Hengxian jasmine tea has more than 80%of the market share, and Sichuan Qianwei jasmine tea is also on the rise in 2019.
The third is the continuous upgrading of product consumption. With the rapid development of the entire tea industry, rising raw material and labor costs, and consumer consumption upgrades, the price of jasmine tea is also gradually rising; in 2009, the price of mainstream jasmine tea in the Jinan market was 12-20 yuan/jin, and in 2013-2018 In 2015, the price of mainstream jasmine tea has risen to 50-100 yuan/jin. In 2019, 100-150 yuan/jin jasmine tea is the main consumer price range in the market. Traditional Fuzhou jasmine tea and Piaoxue type Sichuan Qianwei jasmine tea have been sold to varying degrees. In the survey, it was also found that from the perspective of the scenting system of scented tea, three-scented and four-scented scented tea were the mainstream in the Jinan jasmine tea market; from the point of view of the strip shape of scented tea, most of the hot-selling varieties of scented tea below 70 yuan were snail-shaped. Scented teas above 70 yuan are mostly strips.
Fourth, the new generation of consumer groups is slowly forming. More and more new younger generation consumer groups, especially those aged 25-40, are slowly becoming a new force in scented tea consumption. This is also an important factor in maintaining good development of scented tea varieties in the past two years. Compared with the previous generation of consumer groups’ preference for scented tea price, taste (brewing resistance), quality, etc., the new generation of consumer groups value the experience, product design, personalization, and convenience of shopping (time cost) during the consumption of scented tea. ) And other aspects. In terms of publicity, social media communication such as WeChat, Weibo, and Douyin is the most important way for new consumer groups to learn about jasmine tea products and culture. More and more consumers are willing to use new media, e-commerce and other means to experience consumption.
The above viewpoints have also been confirmed in the Shanxi market. According to the report of Shanxi Tea Industry Association:Jasmine tea is the main force in Shanxi’s tea market. In 2019, Shanxi market jasmine tea is the fastest-rising variety among all teas. With the improvement of people’s living standards and changes in diet, some young and middle-aged people have also begun to consume jasmine tea. As the product quality of branded tea companies is guaranteed, consumers in Shanxi are increasingly demanding jasmine tea, and the expected market space is relatively broad.
Of course, the industry is also facing some double-edged sword effects in the production and marketing of jasmine tea. Three more prominent points:
One is modern technology. With the development of technology and the improvement of logistics efficiency, consumers have been able to”buy the world without leaving home”. Due to historical reasons, the north has always been the main sales area for jasmine tea, and the jasmine tea market in the south has not formed a scale. Therefore, the current jasmine tea is also facing a pattern in which the southern market is sluggish and the northern market is gradually eroded.
The second is economic benefits. Jasmine tea is a reprocessed tea with complex technology, but the price is generally low. Although low prices are close to the people, high investment has not been exchanged for a proportional market return, which is not conducive to market promotion and high-end consumption cultivation. Therefore, enhancing the market value of jasmine tea and its position in the minds of consumers has become an urgent market pain point for jasmine tea.
The third is standard cognition. Simple and easy to remember is the main development trend of the product. The unique craftsmanship of jasmine tea makes its grade evaluation principle very different from other teas. At present, the national standard for roasted green jasmine tea has 12 grades. Although it is strictly regulated, it is slightly lengthy, which is not conducive to consumer perception, and even less conducive to enterprise product research and development.
(2) Export market
1. Export situation
In 2019, China’s jasmine tea export volume was 6,500 tons, a year-on-year decrease of 5.80%, accounting for 1.8%of China’s total tea exports; the export value was $65 million, a year-on-year decrease of 1.52%, accounting for 3.2%of China’s total tea exports ; Export unit price is US$10/kg, a year-on-year increase of 4.49%.
2. Market feedback
(1) The market remains stable. Chinese jasmine tea enjoys a good reputation in Japan, Russia, the United States and other countries and regions.
(2) Main troubles
First of all, Morocco, China’s largest tea export market, officially implemented the new standards for pesticide residues in imported tea on October 1, 2019. The new standard is very stringent, stipulating 60 pesticide residue limit standards, and for the active substances used in unapproved tea, the limit of 0.01ppm or the lowest quantitative concentration (LOQ) is implemented. Affected by this, my country exported 74,000 tons of tea to Morocco in 2019, down 4.2%year-on-year. Secondly, the EU continues to increase pesticide residue testing projects and raise the pesticide residue limit standards. There is a high risk of excessive pesticide residues in exported tea. In 2019, my country’s tea exports to the EU were 28,000 tons, down 1.5%year-on-year, and the export value was US$120 million, down 12.1%year-on-year. The third is that from September 1, 2019, the United States will impose a 15%tariff on Chinese tea (the tariff will be reduced to 7.5%on February 14, 2020). In 2019, my country exported 15,000 tons of tea to the United States, down 5.1%year-on-year.
1. Promote industrial supply-side reforms. In view of the widespread problems of weak infrastructure and low standardization and standardized planting, it is recommended that localities should adapt to local conditions, promote the replacement of jasmine varieties, build standardization demonstration areas for jasmine production, and promote the development of smart agriculture, starting with picking machinery and seedling cultivation, and improve jasmine Yield and quality per unit area.
2. Realize the improvement of quality and efficiency at the processing end. One is to intensify research and development and introduce advanced technology, advanced technology, and advanced equipment, to achieve production standards improvement and product upgrades, and to promote the intelligent manufacturing of jasmine tea in China; second, local governments must implement various favorable enterprise policies and support the cultivation of key personnel The company develops and expands, builds a first-class brand of scented tea, and forms a brand effect.
3. Steadily boost the domestic and foreign markets. First, government departments should increase industry support policies, strengthen policy and financial support for publicity and expansion, and promote Chinese standards to”go global.” The second is that industry organizations do a good job of assistance and coordination, keep close contact with enterprises, understand their demands, assist in solving difficulties in domestic and foreign markets, create a good atmosphere, and create more business opportunities. Third, tea companies should put tea quality and safety in the first place, provide consumers with clean and assured tea; transform low-price competition into core competitive competition, continue to develop marketable new products, and continue to expand cross-border e-commerce , Online and offline interactive marketing, integrated development.
4. Expand and broaden the herbal tea industry. Planning the industrial layout, aligning with the herbal tea industry, learning international advanced concepts and development experience, integrating domestic and foreign scented tea industry resources, in-depth research and development of tea, tea, tea fruit, tea medicine, and the combination and blending of tea and medicinal products. While upgrading the scented tea industry, we will expand more ways of combining flowers and tea. While enhancing the international reputation of jasmine and tea, we will also create a global herbal tea trading center, taking into account the “full garden fragrance” and “outstanding branches”.
Special thanks unit
Hengxian County Party Committee, Hengxian People’s Government
Other acknowledgement units
Guangxi Hengxian Flower Industry Bureau, Sichuan Qianwei County Agriculture Bureau, Shanxi Tea Society
Beijing Zhangyiyuan Tea Co., Ltd., Beijing Wuyutai Tea Co., Ltd.
Jinan Tea Group, Fujian Chunlun Group